Stoke-on-Trent City Council ensures that all children living within a catchment area can be offered a place at a school near to their home.
However, parents can express a preference for a school which is not necessarily local to them. If the preferred school is below its admission limit for the relevant age group then a place will be offered.
Where schools are oversubscribed the priorities for admissions are on the following basis:
1. Children cared for by a local authority and children who were previously looked after
but ceased to be so because they were adopted (or became subject to a child
arrangements order or special guardianship order).
2. Children living in the catchment area of the school who have an older brother or
sister attending at the time of admission (or at the linked junior school in the case of
3. Other children living within the catchment area of the school.
4. Children living outside the catchment area of the school who have an elder brother
or sister at the school at the time of admission (or at the linked junior school in the
case of infant schools).
5. Children who live nearest to the school as determined by a straight line
measurement from the child’s home address point to the main entrance of the
Visits to the school are warmly welcomed. Please contact the school office to arrange an appointment on 01782 235265.
Applying for a Place or a Transfer
Please use the link below for a form to apply for your child’s admission to Smallthorne Primary Academy when they have already begun their education at another school.